Blog Archive: July 2009
posted Tue Jul 07 19:46:00 -0700 2009 by Stacy McDowell-King
So let’s crawl already!
I am very excited to announce the launch of the Knitmap Yarn Crawl feature! I’ve wanted the ability to create a local yarn store crawl from the very outset of Knitmap. We are going to be adding additional features to the crawl in the coming weeks, but in the mean time I want you all to play with it and let us know what you think. Tell us how you’ll use it, how it works for you, and any additional features you’d like to see.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up or log in to your Knitmap account.
- Search for yarn stores as usual.
- When you’ve found a store that you want to add to your crawl, select the new “Add to a Crawl” button on the right side of the store’s detail page. You can add the store to a new crawl, or to any existing crawl that you’ve created.
- From the New Crawl page you can enter a name and a description for your crawl. Keep in mind that all of this information will be available to all of the Knitmap users.
- If you know the name or location of additional stores you can add them from the New Crawl page, or you can save your crawl and return to the map to keep looking.
- While you’re adding the stores that you want to visit, you can drag and drop them in the list to change their order. Less driving time means more time to shop!
- Once you are happy with your crawl you can save and print it.
- If you want to make changes, you can edit your crawl at any time.
That’s it! Fun and easy!
This will be perfect to plan an afternoon of yarn shopping on your next vacation! Planning a cross country road trip? Map out stores along the way. Do you have some spare time in a new city? Why not see what their local stores have to offer? I’ve started a crawl to list my favorite local Portland yarn stores for anyone attending Sock Summit 2009, and I’m working on a list of stores that I want to visit while we’re in San Diego later this month. Where are you going this summer? I want to see your crawls!
Just remember…yarn bought on vacation doesn’t count as stash; it’s souvenirs!
posted Tue Jul 07 19:50:00 -0700 2009 by Stacy McDowell-King
I just wanted to let you know that we’ve made some improvements to the iPhone version of Knitmap. It now looks more like the original site, and it has the new “Near Me” option that will automatically locate stores based on your current location.
Just in case you didn’t know, Knitmap for iPhone lets you find yarn stores in a simple, iPhone friendly display. Out and about and forget exactly where that nearby yarn store is? Just open Knitmap for iPhone and touch the Near Me button, set any other options you want, and click Search.
There’s no special address, just go to Knitmap.com on your phone’s browser. Don’t forget to bookmark Knitmap on your iPhone, or better yet add it to your home screen (I love the little icon)!